Tenants and Users Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP)

Event Insurance for use of NIRMA County/Member Property & Facilities

What Is TULIP?

The TULIP is a Tenants’ and Users’ (Tenant User) Liability Insurance Policy, also known as “Events Coverage.” NIRMA county/members who permit “third parties” to use their facilities for specific events can offer the TULIP for purchase at a competitive price to tenant/users as a means of meeting the county/member’s liability insurance requirements. It protects both the tenant/user and the county/member against claims by third parties who may be injured or damages to the premise as a result of participating in an event. The specified county/member is also listed as an additional insured and policy limits apply for each tenant/user.

Events can range from very low-risk events, such as lectures, church services, civic club meetings, classroom seminars, receptions, weddings, to higher-risk events, including festivals and fairs, sports events or concerts. Costs for the facility users are based on the risk of the activity, the number of days of the activity, the number of participants, and if there are any special requirements including alcohol liability.

NIRMA recommends that all tenant/users who host events or programs on county/member facilities for a non-county/member event be insured for their liability. The TULIP product is offered through Mercer Consumer, a service of Mercer Health & Benefits, LLC (Mercer Consumer) and underwritten by Tokio Marine HCC-Specialty Group (Houston Casualty). Tenant/users are urged to provide evidence of such coverage (certificate of insurance) to the county/member office five business days prior to the event. This requirement can be satisfied by purchasing a general liability insurance policy. NIRMA does not endorse any one insurance company as there are many to choose from, but the TULIP provides an option for tenants/users in order to meet the event insurance requirements.

How Do I Purchase Coverage (Tenant/User)?

  1. Download the Facility Tenant User Guide.
  2. Log into your county/member website and access the TULIP link to proceed. Should the county/member not have a website, you can be pointed to the link by accessing www.nirma.info.
  3. Once you have completed the online application and payment, you will receive via email a Confirmation of Coverage and Certificate of Insurance. A copy will be sent to your county/member office or you can download proof of coverage from the main TULIP page.
  4. For more information or questions, contact your county /member representative or Houston Casualty.